Usability, User Experience & Content:
It is a constant job for search engines to improve their performance and determine what is “best”. The engines have a very good idea what types of pages and sites their searchers are wanting.
Sites with great user experience that are popular with search engine algorithms usually have the following traits:
- Easy to use and navigate.
- Direct and actionable information related to what the user searched for.
- Professionally designed and accessible to modern browsers.
- High quality, credible content.
How do you show the crawly robots that your site is user friendly? Create an awesome user experience that ensures your visitors interact with your content. They are sharing your information, leaving comments, bookmarking your site, and returning. Search engines LOVE this!
It has been said over and over. It’s worth repeating one more time. “Develop great content”. It is great advice. If you are creating content that fulfills searchers need and they are sharing your content with their peers then your chance to go to the top of the rankings increases.
Links that point back to your site are referred to as “global popularity” links. They show search engines that people find your site useful so they are willing to link back to you from their site. The more popular your “partner” link is the better. It starts to show that you are trustworthy and have authority in your topic area.
Add Something New and Fresh
Keeping your links fresh helps to show that your site has not gone stale. If you last link back was 3 years ago the search engines are going to assume that your site is dead.
Social sharing is the other way to have links back to your site and content. Search engines view these differently, but they still notice them. They aren’t as important as a quality link back from a popular site, but they still have merit.
So how do you improve user experience and get links back to your site:
- Capitalize on customers who are loyal or love your brand and give them icons to add to their sites or blogs that link back to you.
- Build a blog for your business. Make it valuable and entertaining. Encourage conversations.
- Create content that inspires viral sharing and natural linking.
- Be newsworthy. Attracting the attention of the press or popular bloggers is a great way to earn links.
- Give away something for free (P.S. If you sign up for my newsletter, you get 33 blog topics instantly!)
[bctt tweet=”Create content that inspires viral sharing and natural linking.”]
It’s really not that hard to generate great SEO if you are enjoying what you write about, care about your readers, and are providing useful information. That’s why the word “organic” gets used so much. Following this formula creates a natural progression of these steps and before you know it your site is rocking on Google.
One post left. If you have missed the others you can start back on the first post: The Ultimate Guide to SEO: part one.